May 05, 2024, 01:03:30 PM

Author Topic: Exhaust Manifolds for 81 TTA  (Read 694 times)

Vic81TTA

• My Ride: 1981 Turbo Trans Am
Exhaust Manifolds for 81 TTA
« on: September 15, 2021, 09:45:28 AM »
Hello,
I am new to the forum and hoping someone can help me out.   I am looking for exhaust manifolds for my 81 Turbo Trans Am.  Anybody know where I can find some?  I heard that some people have welded them but have not gotten any feedback about this repair.  Car has been sitting in my garage for many years and I think it is time to get it back on the road.  Thanks in advance.   

Wheelman

• Administrator
  • My Ride: 1981 Trans Am
Re: Exhaust Manifolds for 81 TTA
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 12:12:32 PM »
The driver's side is fairly common to many non-turbo 4.9l Pontiacs from those years. So you may get lucky at a wreckers.

The turbo side however is much harder to find.
Check TTA Performance. Link is in the Restoration and Projects section under Parts Suppliers
https://totas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=34.0

I don't have the manifolds, but I do have the Turbo exhaust pipes and cat in good condition.

Never wash motor when hot! #1 cause of cracked manifolds.

Jett.Sprockett

• TOTAS Members
  • My Ride: 1984 Trans Am 15th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 12:23:57 PM »
If NAPA can source you one, I can get a discount.

Vic81TTA

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 12:59:09 PM »
Thanks guys for the quick response.  I probably washed the engine when it was hot in my younger days....

I have emailed pictures of the cracked manifolds to TTA Performance to see if they can weld them.  I do know a couple of welding shops that could possibly do it here in Ontario but they are asking what is the material composition of the manifold so they can figure out a proper welding procedure. I will do some research on the material.

I will keep in mind that Wheelman has the exhaust pipes and cat.

Thanks Jeff for the NAPA offer.  I doubt they will have the passenger side manifold but they might have the drivers side because it is more common. I will look into it.

I have a complete 1980 motor with manifolds that are in good condition.  But I want to try to find 81s to keep my car as original as possible.  I remember reading somewhere that manifolds were apparently redesigned in 81 and are different than the 80. 

Wheelman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 01:02:45 PM »
http://www.301garage.com/

That site may help...

Vic81TTA

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 01:24:54 PM »
Thanks for the tip for 301garage.  TTA Performance has some repaired manifolds which I think I will order this week along with some other minor parts.  But I will keep searching for original manifolds.  Take care.

Wheelman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 01:29:33 PM »
no problem...301Garage forum is giving me some page loading issues at the moment...you may have to check back later on..

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal