September 21, 2021, 12:31:04 AM

Author Topic: Lock problem in Pontiac Firebird 1990  (Read 1673 times)

deknas

• My Ride: Pontiac Firrebird 1990
Lock problem in Pontiac Firebird 1990
« on: December 02, 2016, 02:29:28 AM »
Okay, I have a 1990 Firebird that I'm currently trying to restore. Now when I press the door lock buttons (on either side), locking seems to work and you can clearly hear the noise, however, unlocking does not. When you attempt to unlock, sometimes you'll hear the locks work but most of the time you won't hear anything. My friend suggested that either the buttons or actuators may need to be replaced but since those parts aren't exactly cheap, I wanted to get some other opinions.

The other problem that I'm having is when the door locks ARE working properly, the passenger side door locks never worked. Locking would work but it would never unlock. When pressing lock again while they're already locked, it seemed to almost try to "push" the lock into the unlock position but wouldn't. I know, it's hard to explain. I hired a toronto locksmith to replace a lock but it worked only for six months. What could be the problem here?

Wheelman

• Administrator
  • My Ride: 1981 Trans Am
Re: Lock problem in Pontiac Firebird 1990
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 11:58:04 PM »
Perhaps
 - Loose rivets on the actuators, Actuators will move but not the bar.
 - lubrication needed, especially the infrequently used passenger side...work it by hand several times, compare the stiffness to drivers side.
 - bad wire or contact - should be able pull switch and short the pins.

Second Gens have both door lock's wiring go through a connector in the passenger side kick panel. And it frequently goes bad in there. But I do not know if the 3rd gens are the same.

Welcome to the board !
If you need any assistance with your Gallery or anything, just message me.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 12:03:41 AM by Wheelman »

Jett.Sprockett

• TOTAS Members
  • My Ride: 1984 Trans Am 15th Anniversary Edition
Re: Lock problem in Pontiac Firebird 1990
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 10:52:57 PM »
Was this ever resolved? I have some spare parts...