April 23, 2024, 03:18:30 AM

Author Topic: Damn UPS  (Read 4186 times)

Wheelman

• Administrator
  • My Ride: 1981 Trans Am
Damn UPS
« on: March 15, 2016, 08:41:40 PM »
Ordered some parts from Ames last week...tracking system reported it was on the truck to be delivered yesterday. Waited all day.

Come 9:00PM no delivery....check the tracker, it says driver made attempt at 8:40PM and left a notification.
We were in the front room all evening, clear view of the street, and front walkway, just a few feet from the door. No one could possibly come by unnoticed.

So I call UPS customer service to vent, they pass it on to local group and say they will call me back.

They call back, and I explain there was no delivery attempt, and they admit there was a driver issue and there was no such attempt made by the driver.

When I ask the supervisor why they knew there was no attempt made, but they still reported to the tracker that there was, ...she said it was their policy ! I was astonished at this admission ! Obviously the driver just decided to lie so he would not have to explain why could not make the deliveries.

You see...you only get 3 attempts and then the package is returned. So I am 1 strike and I am not even at the plate!

Moral of the story...pick suppliers who use anyone but UPS.
I won't even mention the Brokerage fees, etc.

Good news is...I got some new OEM parts !
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 08:54:35 PM by Wheelman »

1981 Trans Am - Dark Maple Metallic, Red Decals
1976 Pontiac 462, 11.5:1, 87cc Performer RPM Heads Performer intake, Venolia race pistons, Dougs Headers, Pypes 2.5" Dual Exhaust/X-Over, Solid Body Mounts, GenIV SFCs, FiTech fuel injection, upgraded Turbo 350 w/Shift Kit 2800 stall.

3 Birds

• My Ride: 1971 Formula
Re: Damn UPS
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 08:20:11 AM »
Absolutely.....stay away from UPS if you can.
Horrible company to deal with...

dsittler

• TOTAS Members
  • My Ride: 1973 Trans Am
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 08:05:15 PM »
I have placed several orders with Ames and they only use UPS. Delivery was always OK and the driver was awesome, he knew I wasn't home during the day and would bring it to where I worked, which is walking distance from my house. However at about the 3rd delivery after I paid the outrageous fees he told me "you know we are ripping you off" which I agreed but what choice do I have!

Derek

Wheelman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 11:06:42 PM »
Well I have contacted Ames for an explanation.

They charged $93.00 shipping on a $286.00 order, when their website states $32.00
What the hell did I get for 3X the shipping cost ?
Then UPS collected another $71CAN COD for brokerage fees...absolutely ridiculous!!

I will give them a chance to explain, and try to persuade them to use another carrier. Hell ! I will even arrange my own shipping from their warehouse if that is what it takes ! They should sponsor a PO box in Niagara if they were smart.

I will post warning members only to use Ames as a last resort, and include a warning on our Suppliers list here on TOTAS.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:03:41 AM by Wheelman »

1976 Pontiac 462, 11.5:1, 87cc Performer RPM Heads Performer intake, Venolia race pistons, Dougs Headers, Pypes 2.5" Dual Exhaust/X-Over, Solid Body Mounts, GenIV SFCs, FiTech fuel injection, upgraded Turbo 350 w/Shift Kit 2800 stall.

dsittler

• TOTAS Members
  • My Ride: 1973 Trans Am
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 06:53:54 PM »
I had a very similar situation with my orders, I requested that they send them USPS as I was in no hurry. NOPE!!!! Ames told me they are unable to track the package??? I had to insist they MAIL a package after they screwed up one of my orders and I wasn't paying the inflated UPS charges.

Derek

Wheelman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 08:50:44 PM »
Funny...cuz they contacted me today to say they will negotiate with other carriers if I call them prior to submitting my order. But their website says UPS only.

I am now checking out drop-boxes in Niagara Falls like
 -   http://crossborderpickups.ca/
 -   US Addresses, 3909 Witmer Road, Niagara Falls NY, 14305 (716-298-1822). You can call and register over the phone. They charge you $5 per box, or $10 for oversized.

I will start a new thread with such info as I get more

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 11:54:05 AM by Wheelman »

stormin

• TOTAS Members
  • My Ride: 1976 pro street firebird
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 04:31:19 PM »
I have a friend's shop that I ship my stuff to. I don't take too much advantage of it as I don't like to inconvenience him , but his shop at times looks like a drop off place for all his Canadian customers. hahahaha

I never use ups any more if I don't have to .
I watched them pull up last year in front of my house.. I was home in my living room watching this..and I watched the driver... walk up the stairs with the note already filled out .. saying attempt made and nobody home... and he walked up the stairs... stuck it to my door and ran down the stairs... I tried to zip out to stop him and he took off soooo fast.... I didn't stand a chance and I think he even heard me.. and just took off anyways.

nice service.

postal service is what I've had best of luck with.

but.. have heard way too many horror stories about ups.

I usually go over the border enough times in a year.. that I can place several orders and just pick up my stuff or take a friend who ordered stuff too and we just bring it back together.

good luck to all in whoever's services you decide to use

take care all
Norm

ultrabeast

• TOTAS Members
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 04:31:14 AM »
It happens with UPS. They still need to have a better customer service.

Wheelman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 04:06:17 PM »
At only 1 hour and 20 minutes away, CBI in Niagara Falls, saved me a bundle in shipping costs this summer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal